Friday, November 7, 2014
Shea Coconut Body Butter
Here's another body butter recipe. It uses coconut oil and sweet almond oil, in slightly different amounts.
Recipe
10.0 oz - shea butter
4.0 oz - aloe vera gel
3.0 oz - beeswax
3.0 oz - coconut oil
2.5 oz - sweet almond oil
Optional: vitamin E oil
Optional: essential oil(s) of your choice (reminder: citrus essential oils can cause skin to become sensitive to the sun)
Follow the directions from my original body butter post. Modify the amounts depending on how much you want, but keep the ratios the same.
If you don't have a double boiler, you can melt your beeswax, butter, and oils in the microwave in very short intervals (I melted the shea butter in 20 second intervals).
Instead of rush-ordering metal tins, I picked up some canning jars at my local grocery store for a decent price (the price of these jars versus plastic or metal containers is pretty comparable). I washed them and dried them before hand. Although they were labelled as being 4 oz jars, I found they could only hold about 3.5 oz.
Using Coconut Oil
I really enjoyed the coconut oil in this recipe. I bumped up the total amount of oil used a little bit, so the final butter is a little creamier and melts quicker. The unscented body butter smells like shea butter, I didn't use enough coconut oil for it to scent the final product.
I love using coconut oil in a lot of things, soap, lip balm, sugar scrubs, etc. Everyone has unique wants/needs, and some people don't like the smell of coconut, or find that the oil doesn't absorb well into their skin.
You can take this body butter recipe (or the previous one) and change the types of oils used to suit your own skin needs (or the needs of whoever you are making the butter for).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment